Redwolf3's 1st Gen 4Runner Build

Feel free to chat about anything here!

Moderators: PyroZuki, Dave, ToyotaKid

Re: Redwolf3's 1st Gen 4Runner Build

Postby redwolf3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 am

Ohhh ya, one other thing: Apparently the guys at 4WP were impressed with the amount of droop in my suspension?!?! I'm guessing they must not get a lot of built 4Runners in there, haha.
redwolf3

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 am

They are just use to built trucks and 4Runners with the other guys springs. lol :yahoo:
Photo bucket sucks!!! Davez Off Road Toyota parts
Dave

Postby redwolf3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Lol, that's probably true.

Got a little more prep for KOH done this weekend.

Most of the time was spent finishing up filling in the holes I cut when I originally installed my sliders the first time around. Plating and filling the Toyota's body without blowing through was a HUGE pain. Definitely not something I want to deal with again.

Once that was complete, I primed the rockers and then sprayed them with DupliColor Bedliner. That stuff is nasty, especially when its 5 years old and you're spraying it upside down, but I'm happy with the finished product.

I then went ahead and finished burning in the sliders. This went pretty smoothly overall, other than having very limited access to get the mig gun in between the body and frame. If I ever build another 4runner, I will probably pull the body when doing things like Sliders and Suspension. :dave:

I was also able to swap out my TPS which failed a coupe of weeks ago. The new one was a breeze to install and tune and now she's purring like a kitten again (thanks Dave!).

My plan for the next couple of days is to pull and replace the steering box. Hoping to get it swapped without too much of a mess, but we'll see.
redwolf3

Postby redwolf3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:06 am

Made some progress over the last couple of days in preparation for leaving for KOH on Tuesday :yahoo:

Here's what's done so far:
  • Steering Box - Installed
  • Transfer Case - Rear output seals and bearing replaced
  • Sliders and Bumper - Painted

Sadly I didn't get to some of the stuff that I wanted to (Stereo for example), but I think I made good progress overall. Tomorrow I've got to finish filling up the T-Case with Gear Oil, do quick tightness check on everything, and then start preparing for our trip... :steer: :mudtaco:

Not a whole lot of pictures for today, but here's what I've taking so far:
redwolf3

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:07 am

do you have the seal (small thin one) that goes in the tail housing?
Photo bucket sucks!!! Davez Off Road Toyota parts
Dave

Postby redwolf3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 am

Dave wrote:do you have the seal (small thin one) that goes in the tail housing?

Yep, I replaced both the inner and outer seal on the tail housing as well as the rear output bearing.
redwolf3

Postby redwolf3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 pm

I've been seriously slacking on updates lately.

We had a successful trip to KOH. I traveled down with Dave and met up with a couple of other friends as well. The trip was fairly uneventful, but sadly we weren't able to get much wheeling in. We didn't realize that the event had change and the last 3 days of the week are all racing, and no wheeling (except in the middle of the night). We did go out wheeling 2 nights. First night my power steering box popped and I decided not to run the second night (since I needed to drive the 4Runner home the following day).

Outside of that, I've only really taken the 4runner out once (Today). I headed back over to Prarie City with the intent of figuring out how my 4runner really drives, how to pick a line in it, etc. I spent a lot of time intentionally picking difficult lines to try and see how to adapt to them, and figuring out what does and doesn't work. It was a very successful trip. I learned a lot about how the 4Runner drives now.

One important (and frustrating) thing I learned is that whenever my 4runner gets bound up climbing it likes to slide the front end. I also think I made a mistake installing the Air Locker in the front instead of the rear (I think these two findings may be linked).

One other frustrating thing: I keep blowing steering boxes out. In the 3 times I've taken my 4Runner out, my steering box has leaked each time. The first time it happened after Prarie City on a junkyard box which started leaking at the input shaft. I replaced it with a new rebuild the week before KOH. I drove it down, and our first night run the steering box backed the sector shaft bolt / nut out and started leaking a short time into the trail. We replaced the box with another newly rebuilt unit (from Napa). This new box starting leaking during today's trip to Prarie City in the same spot (sector shaft).

I'm not sure one it keeps leaking out of the Sector Shaft, or why the sector shaft bolt / nut keeps backing off. I'm wondering if they keep loosening up because of the amount of pressure I put on the box. I have a bad habit of forcing the steering wheel manually, even if the power steering can't move the wheels.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I definitely don't want to keep popping steering boxes every time I go out :lol:
redwolf3

Postby redwolf3 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Well, still slacking... haven't made much progress, but I think this weekend I'm going to start tackling the steering box.

My plan right now is to remove the current box and take a look at it to see if I want to adjust it again, or just swap in a new box. I'm really thinking that installing hydraulic ram assist on the front as well, and I'm thinking that this might just eliminate the problem all together. At that point, it might be worth it to just pull the box, tap it, re-torque the sector shaft, and throw it back in and give it a go. I have two of these boxes so it wouldn't be hard to just carry the other around as a spare if needed. They are both the older style that are less desirable, but I do have them.

I also thinking I've figured out my front braking issue. The downside is I think it means I need to redo the front brakes (either replace the rotors and pads, or at least have them turned). I'm really toying with the idea of doing the IFS front hub swap and switching over to the newer Tacoma front rotors and brakes so I don't have to mess with pulling the hubs and pressing out studs the next time I have to mess with the brakes. Thoughts or opinions from others who have done the same?
redwolf3

Previous

Return to General 4x4 Discussion and Chat