Concretewaves New Runner

Feel free to chat about anything here!

Moderators: PyroZuki, Dave, ToyotaKid

Re: Concretewaves New Runner

Postby Concretewaves » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:01 pm

If you have any pictures redwolf3 I'd like to see them. I checked your build thread and didn't see anything on a compressor. Thanks for the input.
Concretewaves

Postby redwolf3 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:10 am

Ya, I've been slacking on pictures. We're expecting our second little boy in a couple of months, so the 4Runner has taken a back seat again to house projects, haha.

Anyways, here are the pictures of my compressor mounted on the passenger side fender.

Hope it helps!
redwolf3

Postby Concretewaves » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Congrats on the second child. I don't have kids but I still feel like household projects get the better of me. It looks like you were able to mount your compressor further down on the fender than I was able to do. Thanks for posting the pictures they were helpfull
Concretewaves

Postby redwolf3 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am

I was able to mount it so the backing plate is just behind / above my 14" Shock Hoops, so it works out perfectly (Shock Hoops hide 90% of the plate).

We'll see how well it works once I get all the plumbing completed, haha.

And ya, kids take a lot of extra time but it's totally worth it in the end.
redwolf3

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 am

:picture: :picture:
Photo bucket sucks!!! Davez Off Road Toyota parts
Dave

Postby Concretewaves » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:36 pm

http://s900.photobucket.com/user/Miutis ... h.mp4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vid900.photobucket.com/albums/ac ... ksjaqaqh.m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rear air locker is working but air is coming out of the diff breather when the compressor charges and it recharges too often but it works and it looks like one full tire rotation, with the diff locked, is about 5 1/4 driveshaft rotations. Previous owner said he had 5.29s and an arb installed but i didn't want to believe it until I saw it. Need to pull the 3rd when I do the disc break conversion and see what kind of shape its in. Im hoping a new set of o rings will solve the leak
Last edited by Concretewaves on Mon May 01, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Concretewaves

Postby Concretewaves » Mon May 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Glad i found this before it went any further

A new intake tube later I have plenty of clearance and truck runs like a *** champ. I had some issues with surging idle that prevented me from passing smog it was the 2nd coil that did the trick. 1st one was bad out of the box which left me pulling out what little hair i have left after we determined it was bad the 2nd one solved the problem and I passed smog with little issue. Wish i had the factory vacuum line diagram stickers under the hood to keep the smog guy happy but we got it done. :drink:
Concretewaves

Postby Dave » Thu May 04, 2017 7:56 am

oh ***. You can buy new stickers from the dealer. When is a good day to bring yer third down? weekdays or week ends?
Dave

Postby Concretewaves » Thu May 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Week ends are probably best but I could do a weekday after 5. Im only a couple minutes away from Roseville if you still need to drop off something for Redwolf3 you could probably do both on the same day. I was wondering if i could get those diagrams from Toyota thanks.
Concretewaves

Postby Concretewaves » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Got the disc brake conversion done and I'm having the exact same problem as Redwolf3 had. The brake pedal is high and hard but the stopping power only increased by maybe 15%. I was expecting a bigger difference and when I test drove it, the truck brakes pretty much the same as before. I replaced the brake booster and added a 1 inch bore master cylinder. It didn't seem to help much. 1st time I press the pedal it feels decent, 2nd press feels stiff but brakes don't stop the truck the way i would like. My 1st thought was the master cylinder wasn't working properly after re-reading Redwolfs thread think i need to re-bleed the system. Also truck pulls to the right when breaking heavy so I'm getting the feeling that the left front caliper isn't working properly :bash:
Concretewaves

Postby redwolf3 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Bleeding a couple of more times definitely helped, but I'm starting to think that the real issue is that the master cylinder is too big. I'm going to try moving down to a 7/8" or so MC when I get a chance and see how that works.
redwolf3

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 am

Before you change the master (because thats the one we all use and it works great) The pulling shows a caliper is not working the same as the other side. You may have two bad front calipers. Change them out first. Also make sure the one way valve in the booster vacuum line is working right.
Dave

Postby Concretewaves » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks I was going to put the stock MC back on but i guess i'll do new calipers and check that one way valve
Concretewaves

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:37 pm

WWDD...... what would Dave do :rofl:
Dave

Postby redwolf3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am

Concretewaves / Dave-
Just as an update: My brakes have actually gotten a little better with break-in. I can lock the rears up if I want. The only real complaint I currently have is that holding power on an incline is a big weak. I really have to think about keeping pressure on the brake pedal when on a road incline or I start rolling back.

That said, my original calipers were used off a vehicle of unknown origin and I never did a full clean-up / rebuild on the calipers before I installed. I also think I may have glazed them right after initial installation, so I may be fighting with ghosts from previous poor decisions :bash:
redwolf3

PreviousNext

Return to General 4x4 Discussion and Chat